Monday, 8 October 2012

Saving bees and smelling lovely with Neal's Yard

I recently spent an interesting evening with some fellow bloggers courtesy Neal's Yard, so we could find out about their organic products and the massage services they provide. I was even lucky enough to receive a pregnancy massage on the night. No, thats not an announcement, there are no more babies on the way. I was just interested in how a therapist might work around the bump, getting comfortable and what oils could safely be used - so I got a practical demonstration. I also found out that they offer massage for breastfeeding mothers, a fact I wish I'd known about a couple of years ago; just think, I missed out on the opportunity to lie back (on a big cushion on the floor) having a massage whilst I fed my baby to sleep next to me.


We are all becoming more aware of the population crisis in the bee world and how much we will suffer without their pollinating abilities, which is why I was very excited to see Neal's Yard "Bee Lovely" range and save the bees campaign. The campaign has 3 parts; firstly a petition to ban neonic pesticides which have been shown to harm bees (click here to sign it online). Secondly they are encouraging us to plant bee friendly wild flowers to provide bee food and any purchase of a Bee Lovely product comes with a free packet of seeds to help achieve this. I've planted mine and (provided my slugs don't get there first) I'll post a picture next summer. Finally they are raising money through the purchase of the Bee Lovely range to support charities such as the Bee Cause campaign run by Friends of the Earth.

Usually I can't use fancy smellies in my bath or shower, most of the ones that come in pretty gift packaging will bring me out in a rash. I am however rather happy to announce that after 2 weeks of using the Bee Lovely shower gel my skin is happy. I wonder what it is in normal products that affects me? The pretty blue bottles from Neal's Yard mean light can't get into the bottles so chemical preservatives aren't needed. So not only do the bottles look nice enough to give as a gift it means they don't give me itchy skin (a hint to anyone who fancies buying).

Disclaimer: I was treated to this blogger evening and some Neal's Yard products to sample for the purposes of this post.



6 comments:

  1. Ooh there was some of this hand soap and lip balm in the goodie bags at the MAD Awards and I've loved it. It's hard to explain but it feels like it's cleaning and moisturising whilst being very gentle indeed.
    My Scamp loves the soap and she's 4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'm back near the store I'm going to get some of the bee soap for the kids, its very sweet with a bee picture on it, and I'm getting some bee hand cream for me. I rarely use handcreams but this one smells so delicious I'd use it all the time

      Delete
  2. Sounds lovely! And you are probably sensitive to sodium laureth sulfate - see if it's in the NY one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked and you are right - its not in the Neal's Yard one.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kath

    a) Delightful to meet you in person at the Neal's Yard Remedies blogging event and thanks so much for coming.

    b) Very pleased (and dare I say un-surprised) to hear that Neal's Yard Remedies products are kind to your skin.

    Yes, organic standards really do exclude ingredients that might be harmful, and sodium laureth sulphate as A + E Mum said, is the one that can cause skin irritation and is banned under organic standards.

    O I love a good ban!

    http://realfoodlover.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/organic-nourishment-from-neals-yard-remedies/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a convert to this lovely shower gel. It might be more expensive, but my husband has already got through one bottle of his cheap shower gel since I've started using this one and I've barely used 1/5th of the bottle, so actually it probably works out the same price for length of time it lasts - and its only one plastic bottle to recycle!

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...