Monday, 3 September 2012

Pinterest Challenge - Fabric Wall Decals

Last week I wrote a post about how we had given my daughter a room of her own and I promised I would write a follow-up to show how I'd made the stars for her wall. So here's how...

One of her new things is a star shaped wall light from Ikea. I thought I'd use Sewing for Scarlett's idea that I found on Pinterest to jazz it up a bit and turn it into a starburst.

I've used wall stickers before, but the choice of commercially available ones seem to be for a young child's nursery or grown-up wall art, so I liked the idea of making my own, plus I could use fabrics that I have used elsewhere in the room to tie the mismatched fabric idea together.

The instructions on Sewing for Scarlett are excellent, so I won't go into a step-by-step guide here; very basically the fabric stars are ironed onto the wall using double-sided fusible web. I printed out 4 different size stars using the webdings font on Word (I knew that silly font had to have a use somewhere) to make a pattern then raided my fabric off-cuts. It was really easy to do and ever so effective. Although I did feel a bit odd ironing the wall!

fabric wall decals


Head over to PinAddicts to see what others have been up to for their Pinterest Challenge


pinaddicts-badge2.jpg



20 comments:

  1. Hooray! A use for webdings!! They do look great. I pinned an ironing on wall pin ages ago but never believed it could work. Great stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sceptical as I did it, but it works just fine. If you pinned the same one as me she does say that they will stick whist you are positioning them - but I must have different fusible web because they didn't for me. But once they were ironed they stuck well

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing! What a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this might be my favourite thing I've made from Pinterest

      Delete
  3. Love it! Would never have thought about ironing the wall!! I am going to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having to restrain myself from doing this in every room!

      Delete
  4. This looks so effective, makes a nice change from the commercial stickers like you say. Hope you daughter loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased with the look. She does love them - although when I was cutting them she said "I hate stars and I hate blue" (she loves stars and blue)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheap, simple and effective, whats not to love!

      Delete
  6. When I start ironing the wall I can now direct my fella to your blog to prove I'm not going to singe the wall! Haha. These are lovely. Your daughter is lucky to have such a crafty mum who's willing to take some risks!

    A fellow PinAddict
    http://smithsews.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I was a little worried the paint might burn, especially as I don't have any of that pink left to patch it up if it all went wrong. But you can see it was fine.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I know - and I only had to look a tiny bit like I'd lost my marbles whilst I was doing it!

      Delete
  8. oh man, these look AMAZING!! my kids would totally love these. Thanks so much for linking up to #PinAddicts too! Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kids are old enough that they could even get involved with designing them. Family fun

      Delete
  9. Fantastic! I have never been brave enough to try this but you have inspired me to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...