Friday, 3 August 2012

Strictly Brendan (and my 2 left feet)

A very long time ago (over 20 years, how can it be that long) I used to take ballroom and Latin American lessons. Because of this when I heard about the first series of Strictly Come Dancing starting I knew it would become my favourite programme. There's no point asking me to go out on a Saturday or Sunday between September and December each year, I'm not coming, I've got a date with my TV.

I would hate to be famous, I like living a normal life; but if I had some kind of talent that would make me famous (I really don't) I would use it to get onto Strictly. I've even got songs picked out that I would love to dance to; National Express by Divine Comedy for a Quickstep, One last love song by Beautiful South for the Viennesse waltz.

So when Flora Pro-Activ invited me along for a dance class with Brendan Cole I broke the Olympic record for jumping at the chance.  Flora Pro-Activ have teamed up with the lovely Mr Cole and his celebrity Strictly partner Jo Wood to encourage people to get exercising to reduce their cholesterol. During our session Brendan taught us a jive based routine and a bit of a cha cha. If you want to have a go at the jive yourself you can watch a film here.

One of the few dancers who is taller than me


I really noticed the fact that it was 20 years since I had done any latin, during the first go at the jive I got into a position where I couldn't see Brendan's feet, so I really struggled to keep up. I got myself to the front when we returned to the routine at the end and I did much better, until Brendan stopped dancing and just called out instructions. At that point I was just kicking and flicking all over the (wrong) place.




The highlight of my life day came during the cha cha. I started off learning the routine with the lovely Purple Mum as my dance partner, the short routine concluded with a cha cha walk after which we found a new partner. I walked away from Purple Mum, turned to find a new partner and there was Brendan ready to grab my hand! I can't believe I have actually cha cha'd with Brendan Cole!


Concentrating or terrified? You decide


I think 20 years is too long, I'm going back to classes, but they are going to have to be beginners ones, I have forgotten everything.
















I know who I'll be supporting in this year's Strictly, he is an amazing dancer, not even hindered by today's choice of footwear - he did the whole thing in SLIPPERS!


Disclaimer: Flora Pro-Activ kindly lent me Brendan Cole for the purposes of this post

For more information on how to lower your cholesterol and tips on how to follow a healthy and balanced diet and lifestyle visit www.floraproactiv.co.uk

14 comments:

  1. He is rather dishy, you lucky bean! I'd love to be able to dance, it's such a good and fun form of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is rather lovely. Try Zumba, you don't have to be able to dance - just be willing to attempt it.

      Delete
  2. Ha! That looks like great fun. I love your disclaimer - if anyone reading this is looking to lend out David Beckham I'll happily oblige! Keep up the dancing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure someone will lend you David Beckham, just keep checking those PR emails. If anyone offers him to me by mistake I'll send them in your direction

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun! I too am a lapsed dancer for a couple of decades"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, and to all lapsed dancers I say get back out there!

      Delete
  4. Wow, how fabulous! I can't dance for toffee but I wouldn't say no to a quick jive with Brendan! You lucky thing!

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hardly turn down this day could I! Now who is going to offer me Anton? I'd have to turn down a dance with Vincent - he would only come up to my middle!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic. You lucky thing! I too took Latin and Ballroom classes many years ago. Mr Cole could entice me back too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm am the luckiest blogger ever!

      Delete
  6. What fun! How lucky you were. Loving Brendan's slippers ;) Did those not put you off even a teensy bit?! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit 'old man' slippers, but hey if he can dance like that in silly footwear then he is my dancing god!

      Delete
  7. Ohh you lucky lady, what a fabulous time you must have had. Mich x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...