Thursday, 30 August 2012

Daughter's bedroom makeover

For the last 2 1/2 years my son and daughter have shared a room, but my son has become rather prone to dropping a bucketful of Octonaut toys on his sleeping sister and with her big move into school I thought this was the time to get her a decent night sleep.

Giving them each their own room meant loosing our guest bedroom, so when I found this Ikea daybed I was really pleased, not only has it got storage underneath, but it also converts into a double bed when we have guests to stay.
Jobs to do - paint the toy box and buy a bookcase
We'd already painted the room a dusky pink a couple of years ago, so all we had to do was replace the furniture (the old stuff was left by the previous owners, so I was more than happy to sell it on) and add a few finishing touches.

The curtains are Annamoa fabric from Ikea and the first time I'd made lined curtains. It took me several hours online trying to figure out how to do this, but I'm pleased I spent the time getting my head around it. I used this same fabric to line her new laundry basket.

The bedding is from Primark. I was surprised how hard it was to find blue bedding; my daughter is not a pink girl (she seems not to have noticed that her walls are pink) and every time we went near bedding with even a touch of pink she announced "I DO NOT LIKE PINK". For this reason we haven't got a rug yet. 


The rocking chair was mine when I was little, one of the jobs I've got to do at some point is to give it a new cushion pad that matches the rest of the room. We also still need to get a bookcase that was out of stock at Ikea and I've got a plan to make some nice storage out of old nappy boxes (when I've done that it will make a nice Pinterest Challenge post). Speaking of Pinterest Challenge look out for my September challenge on Monday when I'll explain how I made the stars on the wall.


I'm linking this post up to Medicated Follower's "I'll show you mine" linky. So pop over there if you want more children's bedroom inspiration

11 comments:

  1. I love it! It's simple but so cute. How handy the bed converts into a double, that's really really useful. I love Ikea for things like that. Thanks for joining in, it means a lot :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love ikea, this range (Hemnes) is really nice and sturdy, I can see it lasting my daughter for the entire time she lives at home (unless she doesn't leave home until she's 40!)

      Delete
  2. Looks great. I have been enjoying making my kids new bedrooms cute too. Also thinking of getting the hemnes c of d for our new bedroom. Glad to hear its sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got Malm in our bedroom and it suffers from "draw droop" where the back of the drawer base comes down and catches on the drawer below. Hemnes is designed differently, so the drawer base is very securely held across the back.

      Delete
    2. Interesting, just put together a malm chest of drawers and they now have a supporting bar that runs down centre of drawer. Also a pax sliding glass wardrobe an another name I cant remember high gloss desk.... Twelve year olds room revamp ;-) gothic !

      Delete
    3. I wonder whether you can buy those supporting bars on their own (and whether they fit old Malm)? It would be useful to fix my Malm. On the Hemnes the sides of the drawer base are loose (at first) and there is a deep groove holding the back in place. When you fit the draw runners on they lock the drawer sides in place. Its a clever design.

      Delete
  3. We've got that bed too in Little Bean's room and it is the absolute best for overnight guests. It opens up to a huge size too! I love the stars in the corner. Will come visit again to find out how you made them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so easy to do, on Monday everyone is going to be doing it!

      Delete
  4. It's so cute! Good job with the curtains!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really lovely and handy to have a bed that goes into a double for guests. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying for someone to come and stay so I've an excuse to make it up as a double bed!

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...