Monday, 7 May 2012

Pinterest Challenge - Plaits and Braids

This month I thought I'd use the PinAddict's Pinterest Challenge to force myself to do something I keep pinning, but never do - that is, put my hair up. Anyone who read my post on my thick hair, will know that styling it can be a bit of a struggle. This, combined with my inability to grasp that things that happen in the mirror are a mirror image of what I'm doing has led to years of nothing more adventurous than a ponytail.

First up I thought I would attempt this look. This is from a tutorial on the Oh So Pretty Diaries

The inspiration

I started here because 1) its supposed to look messy (so I can screw it up a bit) and 2) how hard can a couple of plaits be? Well it turns out very hard. I had real trouble getting 3 even sections behind my back. I think I need a 2 mirror setup (although that might actually make my brain implode). It took about half an hour to do, so its not an everyday style. I think a bit more practice and it might get easier. I might also have to adapt it to cope with my thick hair, I might try it with 5 sections rather than 3.

braid, messy bun
My attempt

Next up, the real challenge, a waterfall braid. This is a french plait around the head with most of the hair left long. This picture comes from Love Maegan and comes with a brilliant video tutorial.

The inspiration

I think this will be a really useful day to day hairstyle as it will keep my hair under control whilst leaving it long. Again, I need more practice, but this was much quicker.

My attempt
Now head over to But Why Mummy Why? for more of this month's Pinterest Challenges.

LifeAsIKnowIt

15 comments:

  1. I love it! I really like the top one as I love 'messy' hair - no offence! I tried to follow a hair pin once, really simple but my hair was too thick and heavy to stay pinned in place - grrr. When it gets longer I'm going to attempt that top one.
    You have lovely hair though, you could do loads of fab up-dos! x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its motivated me into growing it a bit longer, especially my shorter layers as they were the bits sticking out and that caused me problems when plaiting.

      Delete
  2. The first hair picture looks a little bit messy.
    But I love the second one!
    You don't do the same hair with the pins though.
    But still, it's hard to make a diagonal braid. :D
    Great job!
    by the way, have you ever heard pinfaves dot com?
    it's a great website where you can submit your favorite pins from pinterest.
    you can also vote up the pins you like or vote down the pins you hate.
    it's great, isn't it?
    just go to pinfaves[dot]com and trust me, it's worth the try. :)

    love,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!! i think they turned out great :) I love the first one, I could try that with my wild hair :)

    Thanks for linking up with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a bit more practice and the first one will be my going out do

      Delete
  4. I love them both and am VERY impressed you did it to your own hair. I even have trouble plaiting someone else's :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking that the best way to practice would be to get the technique right on someone else. Maybe I need to get a girlsworld? Do they still make them?

      Delete
  5. I love these! I have been pinning lots of long hair styles in motivation to keep growing me hair, so I will defo be stealing these ;-)
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to delete a lot of pins because I'll never be able to do them with my hair. Its hard to be realistic

      Delete
  6. Well done. They look fab! I just attempted recreating a fishtail plait on my daughters hair from Pinterest. I think I need a bit more practice tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to practice on my daughter, but she's only 4 and keeps wandering off.

      Delete
  7. Well done, I think you've done really well! I really should do more with my hair, I just stick it up in a pony tail every day. Maybe I should add a new board to my Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible at making time to make myself look nice - once I've got the kids ready its off to preschool so my hair goes up in a ponytail. I never would have attempted these if it hadn't been for the pinterest challenge

      Delete
  8. What beautiful hair you have! And I think you've done an amazing job! Looks gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do complain a lot about my hair, but i know others would love it.

      Delete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...