Monday, 21 May 2012

Olympic Torch Craft


I know, you wait for a kids craft post and then two come along at once, but I had to get this one out quickly as its time limited. Already I've done this too late for residents of Devon and Cornwall (sorry).


What better way to help explain the Olympic torch relay to your children than to make their own torch. I've been telling my 4 year old about it; once you start talking about it to a 4 year old it suddenly stops making sense. They have a knack for asking all the wrong questions.  

I used an A4 piece of gold card (I was lucky enough to find this holographic one, which gives a similar effect to the "cheese grater" look of the torch, but a plain piece would be fine). I rolled this into a cone and secured it with a staple and some tape. The flame is made with a scrunched up piece of red tissue paper and a piece of orange netting. Finally I drew the Olympic rings and wrote 2012 on the front (this doesn't show up well on the photo but it is there).

Now all you need to do is make 24 of these for your child's preschool (I've had a busy evening) and watch them all run home.

UPDATE: I made the cones then took them to preschool for the kids to add the flames, but, they struggled with the concept of making the flames stick out the top. So, if you are doing this with preschoolers I recommend filling most of the cone with scrunched up newspaper first or your flames will be a bit low.

7 comments:

  1. That is fantastic. Fortunately I've got until July to get 60 done for my two's classes (or just 2 and then show the teachers your site!) Important question is how much will we get for them on Ebay?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having made them today I would add one thing (at least for preschoolers). I made the cones but got them to add the flames, but they really didn't get the idea that we needed the stuff pointing out the top and kept pushing the tissue and netting right in. So we added scrunched up newspaper to most of the cone to stop them.

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant and simple idea and will stop my kids thinking they can be junior pyromaniacs in order to make an olympic torch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took ours to see the real torch, there were lots of comments about how nice they were. My son spent most of the time trying to wear his as a hat (he is only 2)

      Delete
  3. How gorgeous! I am so going with this idea, we live in Hackney, right by Victoria Park where the main viewing screens will be outside of the Olympics, so this crafty little idea will make for a good precursor to the big event. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helped to explain to the kids what on earth was going on the day we went to see the torch.

      Delete
  4. We are delighted to let you know that this post has been nominated in the 'Most Informative' post category of the SWAN UK Blog Post Awards (aka The 'SWANS')

    Be sure to pop over to the SWAN UK website to grab some badges for these categories to encourage your other readers to also vote for you - make sure you let them know which specific posts have been nominated!

    If you tweet the SWAN UK twitter account using the #SWANS hashtag with the URL of your blog posts and the category you have been nominated for we will retweet it for you and hopefully get you some new readers.

    Good luck!

    www.undiagnosed.org.uk

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...